Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Butterfly Garden

My little butterfly garden is growing and the butterflies have found it. I've tried to plant flowers that would attract butterflies and hummingbirds and it's worked out well, so far. I have seen only a few hummingbirds, but since we live in a new neighborhood, with no mature trees, what more can I expect?
Most of the butterflies that visit are Mylitta Cresents like this one! I have seen several other species, but most fly away when I run to grab the camera.
Another Mylitta Cresent
And although these two look very similar they are actually two different species. The one on the left is a California Tortoise Shell and the one in the right is a Pearl Cresent. There is not a lot of difference between the Pearl and the Mylitta Cresents - but the Pearl has more distinctive black borders and tan hind wings. You really have to look closely to see the difference.



And feel free to correct me if I have my species confused. I'm no expert. I'm just a nature lover who likes taking pleasure in the beautiful things that God has created for us to enjoy! There is something about the amazing detail that God has put into each little creation that puts me in awe of His greatness!


Just think about it! Look at the details on the flowers.... the butterflies.... the green foilage of the plants. I feel a tiny bit accomplished every once in awhile when I get a great picture, but just think about what an accomplishment it was to have CREATED all of this! We serve a amazing God!

No comments:

Post a Comment